This article will show you how to transfer apps to an Android phone. You can use the built-in Android Backup & Restore feature, or the Samsung Smart Switch Mobile App if it is pre-installed.
Use the Android Backup & Restore feature
Check first that your data is being backed up on your old device
Your phone’s Android version and manufacturer may have different menu settings.
- Tap Settings and then tap System, Google.
- Tap Save. (You might need to expand the Advanced first.
- Verify that the Backup by Google Onetoggle has been turned on. You’re good to go.
- Slide it on to toggle it off and choose Backup now.
- Once the backup is completed, you are good to go.
It is not possible to restore a backup of a higher Android version on a device with a lower Android Version.
Transfer your data to the new phone
You are now ready to transfer your data to the new Android. You can restore all your data and apps if you haven’t yet set up your new Android phone.
If you have set up your phone but didn’t save your data, reset the phone to its factory settings then start over.
- Power up your Android phone and charge it. Follow the prompts until the screen asks if you wish to restore data from an older device. While you can always choose to start from scratch with a new phone, restoring data from an older phone is a seamless transition.
This will depend on the OS version, manufacturer and carrier of your phone.
- Select the device that you wish to restore data and then tap Copy your Data.
- When your Android asks you to connect, it will prompt you. Connect it to the same Wi-Fi network as your older phone.
- Choose A backup of an Android phone if you have it, or A copy from the cloud if you don’t.
- Sign in to your Google account using the same account that you used on your old smartphone.
- Select the right backup option (most likely the latest) from the list. To move data and settings from the previous device, tap Restore. To select the apps you wish to install on your new device, tap Apps.
- You can continue the setup process while your data are being restored in the background.
Use the Samsung Smart Switch Mobile App
Smart Switch Mobile comes pre-installed with the Galaxy S7 and later. Download the app from Google Play and the Samsung app store for older devices. The app can be used to transfer data from Android phones running 6.0 Marshmallow and later to a Samsung smartphone.
To access the app from the S7 or older, tap Setting > accounts and backup Smart Switch. You can find it in the app drawer for any other phones.
Smart Switch can be used in three ways: wirelessly, via USB cable or external storage (SD or USB storage).
Smart Switch with a Wireless Connection
This is how to transfer apps wirelessly, which is the easiest.
- Start Smart Switch with your new phone.
- Select Receive data> Mobile> Galaxy/ Android.
- Use your old device to open Smart Switch.
- Tap Send data > Mobile.
- Follow the prompts on your device.
Use Smart Switch with a USB Cable
This is how to transfer apps with a USB cable.
- Connect your old phone’s USB cord.
- Connect the cable to a Samsung USB connector.
- Connect the Samsung USB connector to your Samsung smartphone.
- Smart Switch your phone to get it working.
- Follow the screen prompts to transfer your apps. To transfer apps, adjust the USB settings on your old phone to Media device.
Smart Switch with an SD Card
You can use the external storage option by inserting the SD card, or connecting the phone to the USB storage device that stores the apps you wish to restore. Follow the prompts on screen.
Samsung also offers Smart Switch applications for Windows and Mac. Launch the desktop app and connect your phone to the computer. Follow the instructions on the screen to transfer apps or other data.
Backup and Restoring Games
It can be frustrating to open your favorite games on a new phone and then find your progress is gone. Don’t panic. You can back up most of the games available in Google Play Store and take it with you when you go to a new device. Google Play Games is a common way to backup games. On the Play Store listing, compatible apps will have a green icon for gamepads.
Open the app and tap the three dotmenu at the upper-right corner. Next, select Settings. Turn on the Automatically Sign in to Supported Games toggle. After you have transferred your games to the new device, log into your Play Games account and sync your progress.
Backup your game separately if it isn’t compatible with Google Play Games. To check if the backup option is available, go to the app’s settings.
Double-check that non-Google apps are backing up with Google Drive. You might need a messaging app to save all your chat history. This feature is available in most popular apps.
To ensure that bookmarks and passwords are saved in Chrome or other mobile browsers, sign in to all devices. If you haven’t already, go to the browser settings and log in.
- How can I transfer apps from my Android device to my Chromebook
You may be able to download Android apps depending on the model of your Chromebook. Log in to Google Account to access the Play Store. All apps purchased can be downloaded free of charge.
Can I transfer apps from Android to iPhone?
No. No. You can transfer Android data to an iPhone . However, Android apps cannot be used on iPhone. The app must be purchased from the Apple Store.
How can I transfer contacts from Android iPhone to Android?
Download the Move to iOS app from the Google Play Store to transfer your contacts from Android to iPhone. You can also export your SIM card to the Google app for iPhone.