These iMessage tricks make it easier to use iPhones. These iMessage tips and techniques have made it so much easier to use my iPhone every day. I’ve been using it for over 5 years. You might find them useful too.
These are 14 cool iMessage tips you didn’t know were available.
Use iMessage Tricks
1. Message Bubbles and Screen Effects
Some messages have special effects that appear on the screen when you write them. These effects correspond to the content of the messages and can include balloons, shooting stars, lasers and fireworks.
By simply typing codewords in the message, screen effects can be initiated. Different words cause different screen effects. Do not include any additional text in your message. This trick works only if you just type the code word.
- Laser Light Show – Pew pew
- Happy Birthday – Floating Balloons
- Congratulations/Selamat- Rain of Confetti
- Happy New Year, Rush of Fireworks
- Happy Chinese New Year – Red and gold explosions
You can also initiate screen effects by pressing the Send button for a long time after you have typed the message.
iMessage offers message bubble effects like the invisible ink and loud and gentle.
- The bubble is covered in invisible ink.
- Slam causes the screen to ripple.
- A giant shaking bubble effect is created when loud music is heard.
- Gentle makes a tiny bubble which slips into its place.
iMessage has many screen effects, including balloons, celebration, and confetti.
You can wish your friend a happy Birthday in style
2. In group chat, mention a friend
In group chats, it is easier to send a message to a specific individual. To ensure that they read and see your message, mention the person. This trick is easy to perform.
Enter the name of the contact followed by the message. iMessage will identify the contact and send you a popup containing their name and contact picture. To mention them, tap the pop-up.
3. Move Cursor
Typos occur every time we text. It can be cumbersome to move the cursor in the exact text field you wish to edit. This is possible with an easier method. Hold the space bar and tap it, then slide it as a mousepad. This will move the cursor to exactly where you want it. It is much easier and faster.
4. Do not shake
You don’t have to tap backspace repeatedly if you need to delete a lengthy text. You can erase your text messages by shaking your phone and tap undo from the popup. Cool, right!
5. Pin Conversations
Are you having trouble finding and accessing conversations? iPhone and iPad users can now pin their most used and favourite conversations to the top. You can easily access them without scrolling through many chats.
- Open messages app
- Click on the thread or conversation group you want to pin.
- Press it long enough to bring up a popup menu. Choose the Pin option.
Alternativly, swipe right on the thread and tap the Pin button. To unpin it, do the same. Press the pinched thread with your long fingers and then select the Unpin option.
6. Enable Caps
To capitalize your entire sentence, you don’t need to tap the shift key repeatedly. To lock the Caps, double-tapthe shiftkey. This little trick is probably well-known, but I found it difficult to remember.
7. One-Hand Keyboard
This is a great trick if you prefer texting with just one hand. You can move the keyboard left or right to make it easier to reach the letters at the end of your text.
- Hold the world icon or the emoji icon at bottom left and tap.
- Depending on the hand you’re using, choose either type left or right.
8. Dictate Your Message
It’s possible to make your life simpler by saying what you want instead of typing. The mic is located at the bottom right hand corner of your keyboard. Tap it to start speaking. Your message will be typed by the phone. Talk about saving time!
9. Handwritten Message
Although handwritten messages are not often used these days, they can be a great way to bring back those memories and add personal touches. Send a handwritten message:
- Turn your phone to landscape mode.
- Tap the Handwriting Icon on Your Keyboard.
- Use your Apple pencil to write your message or use one finger.
- Tap Done then Send.
10. Share locations
This is my personal favorite. iMessage lets you share your location with your contact. This is a great feature for meeting up with someone or for safety reasons. To share location:
- Open your message app.
- Start a conversation with the person you want to share your location.
- Click on their names.
- Tap the orbutton.
- Select Share My Location.
- You can choose how long you want to share.
You can also type my address is and tap the middle of the predictive bar. This instantly shares your location to the person you are texting.
This trick works for both email addresses and phone numbers. Tap the middle of the predictive bar and type my email is or my number is.
This feature is only available for iOS 13 and later models.
11. Set Emoji As Display Picture (DP)
Because I am photophobic, I don’t have cool photos I can use for my DP. Instead, I use emojis. You can do the same for yourself.
- Open your iMessage app.
- Click the edit icon in the upper left corner.
- Scroll down to see Name and Photo.
- You can choose your initials, custom photo, or an emoji/memoji of choice.
- After choosing your favorite emoji, you will be taken to a confirmation screen. Click Use.
12. Block Contacts
This is how to stop stalkers harassing and disturbing you.
- Open Settings.
- Go to Messages.
- Tap Blocked.
- Add the contact that you want to block.
You can block people from sending messages, phone calls or FaceTime calls.
- A Guide To Recover Blocked SMS on iPhone
13. iMessage Apps
iMessage provides a variety of iMessage apps that enable you to do a wide range activities. These apps allow you to play games with your friends, send stickers and pin locations, send payments, and translate text messages among other things.
- Open the Messages app.
- Tap the arrow button to the left of your typing field.
- Choose the App Storeicon.
- Swipe to see installed apps