Why does my Android phone stop ringing?
There are many reasons why your Android phone doesn’t ring. The worst case scenario is when the phone is physically damaged or infected by malware. You might have accidentally turned off your phone or put it in Airplane mode.
How to fix an Android phone that is not ringing
- Check your volume settings. There are four sliders on most Android phones: media volume (call volume), ring volume (ring volume), and alarm volume. You need to adjust the ring volume. Call volume is the ability to adjust sound while on a phone call. You can hear music and other audio types, such as videos or alarms. You can switch to a new ringtone. You can also use one of the built in options if you are using a third party ringtone.
- Make sure that Airplane mode has been disabled. Phone calls will go straight to voicemail when this mode is turned on. This can be checked by pulling down on the screen at the top to access Quick Settings. It should be turned off.
- Do Not Disturb must be disabled. This feature will disable notifications and incoming calls. You can also check that Do not Disturb isn’t turned on at specific times of the day by going into Settings > Sounds > Do NOT Disturb > Turn On Automatically.
- Make sure call forwarding is not turned on. Google Voice and other apps use this feature to forward voicemails. You can ensure that your calls are not being forwarded to third-party apps such as Skype. Call forwarding is an option on some older Android phones. Go to the app settings for information about newer models.
- If none of these are the problem, restart your phone. Even if the problem is not found, this will fix many problems.
- Malware can sometimes infect Android phones. You can take a few steps to delete malicious apps from your Android device. It is a great way to find issues by rebooting your phone in safe mode.
- Do a factory restore to remove malicious apps and other data. Before you do this, backup your phone.
- If all else fails this problem could be caused by physical damage. If possible, contact the manufacturer or carrier to have it repaired or replaced.
After you have fixed the problem, perform a security audit of your device. Make sure your phone is up-to-date with security updates. Uninstall any apps that you don’t use and only download files and apps from trusted sources.
These issues can occur on any Android phone regardless of manufacturer or operating system. Your Settings app layout will vary depending on whether you are using stock Android or modified versions from Samsung.
How to Fix an Android that Can’t Make or Receive Calls
Why does my phone vibrate so much?
Silent Mode makes the phone vibrate instead of ringing when it receives a call. To turn vibration off, go to Settings > Vibration.
- Why does my phone not ring with my downloaded ringtones when I call?
Switch to the default ringtone. If the ringtone does not work, it is possible that there is an issue with your downloaded ringtone.
What does it signify if an outgoing phone call doesn’t ring when you answer?
If you are unable to place outgoing calls, it is most likely that your phone line is down, not receiving service or that you have an unpaid bill. If your phone does not ring when you call a particular number, it could be a problem with the number that you are trying to reach.