The usage of smartphones and apps is growing at a steady rate worldwide, and experts predict it will increase even further in the coming years. One survey shows that around 90 million apps were released through the Google Play Store in May 2023.
Though numerous apps are released daily, not all of them meet user expectations. There are thousands of apps that are rejected or uninstalled by users due to performance issues, lacklustre UIs, or other defects. Due to this, software-making companies are today testing each aspect of their applications thoroughly from start to finish, covering their different software modules, APIs, and end-user interfaces to ensure that they are fully accepted by users. This technique of testing software products from start to end, under real-world conditions, is end-to-end testing.
Why is end-to-end testing so crucial?
Most of the applications available today are built on networks of subsystems, layers of code, and third-party integrations, that are closely linked with one another, making them highly complex and unpredictable. For example, consider an online banking app that is linked with multiple databases, libraries, and third-party services to support its existing features, like user authentication, transaction processing, or reporting.
In such apps, if one component fails, it can lead to the failure of the entire software product. Hence, to ensure the application’s success, it is crucial for each of its components to be stable. This is where end-to-end testing enters the picture. In addition to validating the performance of the overall application, end-to-end testing evaluates the behaviour of the application’s subsystems from the end user’s perspective.
All these make end-to-end testing an integral part of the software development process. However, you must remember that the success of your end-to-end testing hinges a lot on the tool you select. With the market cluttered with too many tools, picking the best tool that aligns with your software testing project is daunting. Hence, with the intention of making the selection process less cumbersome, we have curated a list of the top end-to-end testing tools with their main features.
Top end-to-end testing tools of 2023
Go through this list and compare the benefits of these tools before making your final selection.
TestGrid is one of the best End to End testing platforms that empowers users to test fast and release their apps and website better. The platform is AI-based, cost-efficient and offers codeless testing capabilities to simplify the intricate testing process for QA teams, allowing businesses to deliver high-quality software faster to the market. TestGrid is an all-in-one solution, allowing users to also obtain valuable performance metrics and even perform API testing, all under a single roof, thereby streamlining your testing process and significantly accelerating your development efforts.
- Scale up or down based on your testing needs
- Test your applications on thousands of real devices and browsers
- Remote access to testing teams from anywhere across the world
- Use simple keywords to automate test cases
- Leverage AI to auto-heal and access the code
- SAST reports are generated automatically after each build execution
- With its scriptless test automation, even non-programmers can conduct tests with ease
- It allows teams to perform hundreds of tests in parallel, saving their precious time and speeding up the testing process
- Enhances test efficiency while reducing test maintenance significantly
- Test on-cloud or on-premise on real devices
It is an end-to-end automation testing platform that allows teams to conduct tests on multiple environments, maintain them and even analyze them. It provides automated tests at UI and API layers as well, thereby offering extended coverage and reducing costs and effort.
- Features like Recorder and Script mode let beginners easily record and playback actions on the UI or drag and drop keywords
- Has a built-in object repository that allows you to store and access all your UI elements, locators and objects
- Integrates with popular applications like Jira, qTest, and Xray
- Allows you to conduct tests immediately with its ready-made test scenarios, object repositories, and keywords
- Speeds up the time to create, execute and maintain automated tests with its rich set of custom keywords
It is a popular end-to-end testing tool used for testing web and mobile applications. With its AI-powered features, even non-technical testers can conduct automated tests easily. Its self-healing feature reduces the time taken to maintain tests. It provides support for cross-browser testing of your applications.
- Its visual test editor lets you click and drag elements on the screen to create tests
- It leverages UI and ML algorithms to detect changes automatically UI changes and adjust test cases accordingly
- Provides test reports and analytics, including videos and screenshots
- It also provides custom integrations with CI/CD tools like Jenkins, CircleCI, and Gitlab
- Support both mobile and desktop browsers
It is a popular cloud-based testing platform using which you can conduct end-to-end testing of your web applications. As it provides access to numerous real browsers and operating system combinations, you can easily test the functionality, performance, and user interface of your web apps in different environments.
- It provides auto-generated full-page screenshots of web pages
- Offers enterprise-ready security features that ensure safe and secure testing
- Provides seamless integration with CI/CD tools
- Provides faster developer feedback and quicker release cycles
It is one of the top end-to-end testing frameworks that QA teams use for testing their web, mobile apps, and APIs. Being a cloud-based and low-code testing platform, it is easy to use for beginners and allows them to easily automate tests using plain English.
- It provides an intuitive interface that lets you automate any application easily
- With test cases and results stored in the cloud, testers can access them anywhere, anytime
- Offers AI-driven test maintenance that lets you identify affected test cases by changing a specific UI identifier
- It integrates with some of the most popular CI/CD tools like Bamboo, Jenkins, or Jira
- It lets you set up and create automated tests easily within minutes
While all the tools in the above list are well-known for their unique end-to-end testing features, you will still have to carefully pick the tool most suited for your specific testing requirements.
From these tools, we recommend that you opt for TestGrid, the codeless automation testing platform that has enabled thousands of organizations to accelerate their testing process and deliver error-free perfect software quickly to the market. With TestGrid, you get access to real devices and browsers whenever you need them and reduce your dependence on emulators or stimulators.
TestGrid provides unique features like robotic test automation, using which you can automate even OTT and POS devices. It provides remarkable reporting features and valuable analytics that offer valuable insights into the application. These and other features make TestGrid the favourite end-to-end testing platform for most organizations worldwide.